West Sussex County Council
Staff can now access a print procurement web-based tool (Self-service portal) from anywhere using any device, and order marketing collateral and office supplies. All orders can be traced and tracked.
- Communications out - print management and design
West Sussex County Council (WSCC) is home to 750,000 people and a tourist destination for millions more every year. Capita document & information services (CDIS) won the contract to supply print management services to WSCC. The contract included supplying WSCC with a self-service ordering technology/ print management portal, with minimum disruption to day to day operations.
The Council’s technology was outdated and they required a tool that would provide an end-to-end reporting function. The Council also saw an opportunity to train its employees to work effectively using a new solution as the previous provider had supplied a consultant to be based permanently on-site to offer print advice to the marketing team and other Council users.
The CDIS Print management division procures print items for its own businesses and external clients through a network of vetted and approved suppliers. This business supports a number of Capita’s Local Government clients; including Birmingham City Council, Southampton City Council, Swindon Council and Blackburn & Darwen Council. CDIS decided the best route for WSCC's transformation was to design a Self-service portal for print management and procurement.
The Self-service portal allows authorised users to order supplies on behalf of WSCC or its affiliates, typical supplies such as leaflets, posters, roller banners and stationery. The Self-service portal has templates built in and can be updated by the design and marketing team. staff members just have to add the copy and send it off for a quote, CDIS then search for quotes using Capita
approved suppliers. Once found the quote is sent back to WSCC, then once the job is approved and printed it's delivered straight to WSCC or its affiliates.
- Accessible, anywhere, anytime, using any device
- Full end to end tracking and monitoring with customer track and trace full reporting
- Upload and replace existing documentation quickly and easily, ensuring templates are always up to date
- A job review screen, this can be filtered by the user and have multiple levels of access. This allows managers to keep track of what their staff are ordering and spot trends and identify possible efficiencies
- All data in a single source, no need for spread sheets, email chains or past invoices
- Time sheets, the design and marketing team can record utilisation, campaign expenditure and the returns generated from a campaign. This gives a clear ROI to managers and directors
- Email integration provides the ability to associate emails to estimates and jobs
- Self-service portal hosted on secure Capita servers
- The account is managed remotely by an Account Manager, no need for external staff on site
- Lower staffing costs
- Reduced paper trail
- Improved reporting and data capture
- Consistent brand image
- Increased productivity
- Lower dependence on design and marketing team
- Complete transparency of data
Delivering future efficiencies
Capita continues to support WSCC and is dedicated to delivering ongoing transformation and improvements throughout the life of the contract. Possible future improvements that WSCC could take advantage of:
Online approval processes
There is an approval chain built into the Self-service portal, from here management and authorised parties can view the documents
and leave notes, they can also accept or reject documents.
Reallocation of jobs
If WSCC's studio is at full capacity and has no time to take on new jobs, they could allocate the design work to Capita. We would
then fulfil the design work, upload it to the Self-service portal the approved users would then be notified by email that the designs are ready for approval and distribution.